No Parking Lot Maintenance Plan = The Chink in Your Armor
Definition: The Chink in One’s Armor
- An narrow opening and vunerable area in one’s armor that the opponent will usually aim for. This term relies on “chink” in the sense of “a crack or gap,” a meaning dating from about 1400 and used figuratively since the mid-1600s.
- A figurative term for a one’s weakness, largest flaw or their prevention of success.
Cracks or gaps in you parking lot may seem like a small thing – but they can be a source of vulnerability to the long-term health and success of your business. Even small cracks and gaps in your parking lot’s surface can pose a trip hazard for your customers. And should that happen…you know what comes next. Personal injury or property damage lawsuits – regardless of merit – are expensive, time-consuming and can increase insurance premiums, or hinder your ability to maintain appropriate coverage. Don’t think this is serious? There are law firms who count trip hazards as an area of their expertise – you can bet THEY think it’s serious!
Consider these statistics:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over one million Americans suffer a slip/trip and fall injury and over 17,000 die in the U.S. annually because of these injuries.
- Slip/trip and falls make up 15% of all work related injuries, which account for between 12% and 15% of all Workers’ Compensation expenses.
- The CDC estimates that 20% to 30% of people who experience a slip and fall will suffer moderate to severe injuries such as bruises, hip fractures, or head injuries.
- Slip and fall accidents are the common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and these account for 46% of fatal falls among older Americans.
- Accident studies indicate that almost 80% of slips and falls due to snow and ice occur in parking lots or on sidewalks; more than 50% occur in the morning between 6:00 a.m. and noon.
No one plans for a trip or fall accident to happen – but you should have a plan in place to prevent them where possible. DC Construction Services would love to help you develop exactly that: A well-thought-out parking lot maintenance plan!
We are the Asphalt Experts – we work with you to create a parking lot maintenance program for your asphalt parking lots, driveways, and other asphalt or concrete surfaces that reduces trip hazards, communicates clear instructions on where to park, stop, turn and yield, and demonstrates that your company takes the safety of its customers and visitors seriously.
With colder weather upon us, addressing the cracks or gaps in your parking lots NOW leaves the protection of your business – its success and profitability – intact, effectively sealing up the chinks in your armor.
Don’t leave yourself vulnerable to an attack on your businesses’ success!